Sunday, June 24, 2007

My Blueberry Nights


I had the incredible luck of getting to see Wong Kar-Wai's new film, My Blueberry Nights a couple of days ago. I am not a Wong worshiper, but I do love his films, especially In the mood for love and Chungking Express . I also admire 2046, but I don't love it as many others do, probably because I felt the characters were not developed enough for me to relate to them. That's probably what bothered me the most about Blueberry Nights as well.
One thing I have to admit though, is that the film is beautifully shot and there's so much poetry in every scene that in the end you forget all the awkward moments.
Basically, the film deals with a young NY woman (a wonderful Norah Jones), fresh from a break-up, who walks into a bar run by young man from Manchester (a good performance by Jude Law). After a few nights of eating blueberry pie with ice-cream and sulking over her ex, our hero decides to leave NY and go on a trip across the country. Traveling from NY to Memphis and from there to Las Vegas, she works as a waitress meeting several colorful characters that will change the way she sees things.
Even though the characters played by David Strathairn, Rachel Weisz and Natalie Portman were not developed enough for me to understand them, in the end of her journey we feel that we have learned something as well and I guess that's the film's greatest accomplishment.
The film isn't perfect, but it will leave you with a smile on your face. At least that's what happened to me.

No comments: